Setting up Configurations
Getting VPN Service
Read Before You Post
Tunnelblick is free software made available under the GNU General Public License, version 2 and may be distributed only in accordance with the terms of that license.
An easy way to distribute Tunnelblick to multiple clients or servers is to distribute your configurations bundled together with Tunnelblick. Your configurations will be installed automatically when the user installs the Tunnelblick application and can be automatically updated from your webserver (see Updatable Configurations).
A simple way to do that is to:
- Create an empty folder.
- Copy Tunnelblick.app into the folder.
- Create a subfolder named ".auto-install" or "auto-install".
- Copy your ".tblk" configuration files into the subfolder.
- Control-click the outer folder and select "Compress..." (or compress the folder with any compression utility).
The resulting .zip file may be distributed to users. When the user double-clicks on the Tunnelblick icon in the expanded folder, the user will be asked for a computer administrator's username and password to install both the program and the configurations.
For more details, see Tunnelblick VPN Configurations, especially the Automatic Installation and Info.plist sections. See Updatable Configurations for information on creating and using configurations that can be automatically updated from your website.
You can also distribute configurations without Tunnelblick and install them by dropping them on the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar.
To do this, your users must first download and install Tunnelblick. Then they can install configurations by dropping them on the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar. You can "nest" configurations inside an outer configuration so that the user only needs to drop it on the icon to install all of the configurations.
A more complex way of distributing configurations along with Tunnelblick is to create a "Deployed" version of Tunnelblick:
- Deployed versions of Tunnelblick must be built from rebranded source code and the rebranded source code must be made available to anyone to whom a binary is "distributed" as defined by the GPL.
- A "Deployed" version contains, within the Tunnelblick application itself, all of the configurations, certificates, keys, and scripts needed for the connection(s) that you wish to make available.
- A "Deployed" version can also contain "forced" preferences, which the user is not allowed to override, which can avoid problems caused by users inadvertently changing critical configuration parameters.
- Because a "Deployed" version contains the configurations within the program, when the program is updated, the configurations are updated.
- Any user of the computer can connect using the configuration(s).