Setting up Configurations
Getting VPN Service
Read Before You Post
Before You Post to the Tunnelblick Discussion Group
If you are a member of this group, your first post must be approved by a moderator before it will appear.
If you are not a member of this group, each of your posts must be approved by a moderator before it will appear.
Please be patient — we're all volunteers! (For more information about the moderation process, see this post.)
How and What to Post
If you are having a problem with Tunnelblick, please:
If possible, please try the latest "beta" version of Tunnelblick -- beta versions usually include fixes to problems that are not available in the stable release version.
This procedure may fix the problem you are having. Even if it doesn't, it creates the information usually needed to diagnose problems:
- Open Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window.
- On the "Preferences" panel, please click the button to "Reset Disabled Warnings".
- On the "Configurations" panel, please select the configuration you want to connect in the list on the left.
- Click on the "Settings" tab.
- Make sure that "Set DNS/WINS" is set to "Set nameserver". This is the default setting and enables useful extra logging.
- Make sure that "VPN log level" is set to "OpenVPN level 3 - normal output". This is the default setting; higher levels are for debugging OpenVPN itself and is almost never needed and usually makes it harder to find the cause of a problem.
- Make sure that "Check if the apparent public IP address changed after connecting" is checked.
- Click on the "Log" tab.
- Click on the "Connect" button.
- Wait until the problem occurs. If the problem is that no connection is made, wait at least 70 seconds.
- If you can, click on the "Disconnect" button and wait until the disconnection is complete. If the disconnection is not complete within 20 seconds, continue anyway.
- Click on the "Copy Diagnostic Info to the Clipboard" button.
- Wait for the copy to complete (there is a spinning progress indicator; when it disappears the copy is complete).
- Close Tunnelblick.
- Paste inline or paste into a text file and add as an attachment to either a new post on, or an email to, the Tunnelblick Discussion Group.
- Remove any sensitive information before sending the email or post.